Recently, many urban areas have experienced an outbreak of bedbugs. They can easily be transported on furniture, in luggage, clothes, etc. Once established, bed bugs are difficult to control in homes and apartment buildings.
To help control for bed bugs:
- Reduce clutter in the area so that regular inspection and monitoring is easier
- Remove personal items such as stuffed toys, extra blankets etc. from the sleeping area
- Wash clothing in hot water
- Place monitoring traps around sleeping areas
- Treat luggage before and while travelling
- Caulk and seal any holes near pipes, electrical outlets and baseboards where bedbugs can travel between living quarters
- Apply Diatomaceous Earth in all potential hiding spots for the bed bugs, including bed frames
- Vacuum regularly, and discard vacuum cleaner bag in a sealed plastic bag after each vacuuming.