Captan (50% WP) is a wetable powder formulated to mix easily with water for spray application. Captan can be used for the control or suppression of a number of fungal diseases including Apple scab, fruit spot, sooty blotch fly-speck, frog-eye, fruit rots, rust, alternaria leaf spot, botrytis flower blight, black spot on roses, and on lawns and turf brown patch, leaf spot and root rot.
Captan has never indicated a disease resistance problem.
Recommended Applications & Mixing Dosages
Young or dwarf trees typically need 1 to 2 pints of spray, medium-sized trees 1 to 2 quarts, and large trees 1/2 to 3 gallons.
- Apples: Scab, Fruit Spot, Bitter Rot, Black Rot, Botrytis, Blossom-end rot, Sooty Blotch, Fly Speck, Black Pox, Botryosphaeria Rot - Use 2.2 Tbsp. per gallon of water. Apply in pre-blossom petal fall and cover applications.
- Apricots: Brown Rot (Twig Blight), Jacket Rot - Use 1.5 Tbsp. in 1 gallon of water. Apply in red bud, bloom, 75% petal fall and cover sprays.
- Cherries: Brown Rot, Leaf Spot, Botrytis Rot - Use 1 Tbsp. in 1 gallon of water. Apply at pink bud, full bloom and petal fall stages. Repeat at 10 to 14 day intervals after petal fall.
- Nectarines: Brown Rot, Scab - Use 2.5 Tbsp. in 1.5 gallons of water. Apply in full pink, bloom, petal fall, shuck, cover and preharvest sprays. Applications at 3 to 4 day intervals may be necessary during bloom to control blossom blight. Corynem blight (Peach Blight, Shothole) - Use 2.5 Tbsp. in 2.5 gallons of water. Apply in pink, bud, full bloom, petal fall, and cover sprays as necessary, and as a post-harvest spray (but before leaves drop).
- Peaches: Brown Rot, Scab - Use 2.2 Tbsp. in 1 gallon of water. Apply in full pink, bloom, petal fall, shuck stages and in cover and preharvest sprays.
- Plums, Fresh Prunes: Brown Rot - Use 1.66 Tbsp. in 2 gallons of water. Apply in full pink, bloom and petal fall sprays. Repeat applications at 7 to 14 day intervals as needed to maintain control. Continue applications through harvest if conditions favor Brown Rot. The addition of a neutral spreader has improved coverage.
- Also recommended for use with Blueberries, grapes, strawberries, azaleas, begonias, camellias, carnations, chrysanthemums, gladioulus, grasses, and roses.